Tax in Chile – sidenote

I forgot to mention before, when I first got to Chile there is a sign that says if you are Canadian, American or Australian, that you have to pay a tax. The tax is $135 USD if you are Canadian, $100 USD if you are American and $50 if you are Australian.

They call this a reciprocal tax… I guess these are the amounts that those countries charge Chileanos when they go to those countries, so they charge you that when you come to their country.

Apparently once you have this tax stamp in your passport it is good for the life of the passport, so you only have to pay it that one time.

Kinda irritating… but I can see why they do it… My irritation is with the Canadian government for charging Chileanos to visit Canada… ridiculous.